Date:      Sun, 02 Nov 1997 16:18:53 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@trojanhorse.ml.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, dufault@hda.com
Subject:   Re: Strategy Routines

(Peter, are you on -hackers?)

> Ok, so say I am doing outb(), one bang after the other. Since timo can
> sleep up to 1/100 of a second. What would be a good "packet size" (i.e.
> number of outb() to limit myself to in a loop.

I still have to wonder why you would want to do this in the first
place.  However I'd take two separate approaches:

 - sequenced output, use tsleep() between output values.
 - fast output, limit yourself to N bytes of output, then return from
   the write() call with a short count.

No timeouts, no sleeping, no blocking for unreasonable periods.  I'd
perhaps limit to 512 bytes per write.

mike