Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2005 19:27:46 +0100
From:      Andreas Kohn <andreas.kohn@gmx.net>
To:        Xin LI <delphij@delphij.net>
Cc:        Mathieu Arnold <mat@mat.cc>
Subject:   Re: [IDEA] How to represent package version dependencies?

--=-kg7B/kSOteT9Rw/P/tik

On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 23:39 +0800, Xin LI wrote:
> Ah... I just know that from the porters' handbook and bsd.port.mk :-)
> I'd personally prefer file:package[< | =3D | > )version][:target] scheme,
> since it looks more straightforward.

I also like this scheme better.

Actually, I was thinking about something similar:
I wanted to create some shell script which runs over the ports tree,
figures out the current version of a port, and creates a second ports
hierarchy from it:
/usr/vports/<cat>/<port>/<port-name+version>

A Makefile in /usr/vports/<cat>/<port> would build the latest version,
but every versioned port would know against which other port versions it
depended, and would use these versions.=20

Some changes to bsd.port.mk (i.e. /usr/ports/Mk/*.mk + patches
-> /usr/vports/Mk/*.mk) would have to handle parts of the versioning.

Unfortunately, there were many problems that surfaced when thinking
about this a little bit more, most of them related to optional
dependencies, and management problems, so I did not start actually
trying to build this.

But at least requiring a certain minimum version would certainly be
nice!

Regards,=20
Andreas

--=-kg7B/kSOteT9Rw/P/tik