Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:04:07 -0500
From:      Greg Barniskis <nalists@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        smitho@mantech-wva.com (Brian Smith), freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.8 and Dell RAID

At 02:22 PM 7/20/2004, Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> > > Can someone tell me how to get the FreeBSD 4.8 install CD to recognize my
> > > Dell RAID array?  It needs the aac driver and it's not enabled on the 4.8
> > > GENERIC kernel.
> >
> > You may need to go to the 5.2.1 version.
>
>The aac driver was first introduced in 4.3, but it has come to support
>more devices since then.  It definitely *was* enabled on 4.8, so the
>original poster definitely needs to look a little more closely.

I've certainly had no trouble loading 4.8-RELEASE (from Walnut Creek CD
distros) onto Dell platforms with built-in RAID (PERC 3/Di) using aac, and
no trouble with either 4.8-STABLE or 4.9-STABLE since then.

Greg Barniskis <gregb@scls.lib.wi.us>
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
South Central Library System (SCLS)
(608) 266-6348 www.scls.lib.wi.us