Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 1997 09:23:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      michael@blueneptune.com
To:        rif@nix.kconline.com (Jim Riffle)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does anyone filter e-mail headers

> Does anyone out their use any kind of filtering mechanism for peoples
> incoming mail to strip the routing information from incoming e-mail?  The
> other day I had a customer who though it was just terrible that we did
> not filter off all that information for them.

I would never filter those headers.  They can be extremely helpful for
tracking down problems, especially when you get the inevitable complaint
"My friend sent this four days ago, and I just got it today.  Why are
you delaying my mail?"  A quick look at the Received headers will show
who the most likely culprit is (and it's usually the sending site, the
most common being a holdup in the internal forwarding of larger
companies.)

Besides, most end-user client email software these days will simply
not display all of these headers when the user is reading mail.  That's
the proper place for filtering them --- just don't display them to the
user!  How different packages do this varies quite a bit --- some will
let the user configure what headers are displayed, others just always
filter everything except From/Subject/Date/To.  Some even make it
virtually -impossible- to see the headers.  I'd recommend that you
talk to your customer about various options in mail clients, and help
him find one that filters headers the way he wants.

--
Michael Bryan
michael@blueneptune.com