Date:      Wed, 5 May 2004 19:06:29 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        David Schultz <das@freebsd.org>
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with floating point exception flags

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 06:39:04AM -0700, David Schultz wrote:

> Here is a better kernel patch.  Instead of treating all the bits
> of the FPCR as sticky, it merely treats the exception flags that
> way.  After reading the source carefully, I'm pretty sure this is
> the right fix, but I can't test it without working hardware.
> I also uncovered a bug in the way the software floating-point
> routines handle underflow.  See below.

I built and booted a kernel with these patches. Trying to exercise the
code with the files at http://people.freebsd.org/~das/alpha yield:

alpha% ./te
Should be 00: 00
Floating exception (core dumped)
May  5 19:00:11 alpha kernel: pid 638 (te), uid 4152: exited on signal 8 (core dumped)

alpha% gdb te te.core
GNU gdb 5.2.1 (FreeBSD)
This GDB was configured as "alpha-undermydesk-freebsd"...
Core was generated by `te'.
Program terminated with signal 8, Arithmetic exception.
Reading symbols from /lib/libc.so.5...done.
Loaded symbols for /lib/libc.so.5
Reading symbols from /libexec/ld-elf.so.1...done.
Loaded symbols for /libexec/ld-elf.so.1
#0  0x1200008d8 in main (argc=1, argv=0x11ffebd0) at te.c:25
25              d *= 2.0;

If there's anything specific you want tested, let me know,