Date:      Mon, 2 Feb 1998 10:10:25 +0100
From:      Igor.Alekseev@kjeller.fou.telenor.no
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   help with real time monitoring of TCP control variables

Hi,

I am doing network performance evaluations with FreeBSD 2.2.5 with ENI ATM
card, using HARP atm software.

Is it possible to do the real time monitoring (by real time I mean synchronised with
tcpdump output) of TCP connection control variables for a particular connection,
such as SND.NXT, CWND, SSTHRESH, RTT estimate? Is there a standard
mechanism for doing this kind of thing or is some source code change required of
tcp code? In any case, could anyone, please give me a hint on the best way to do
it?
What I need - is basically dumping the above variables into a file along with
timestamp, say every time a segment is received or sent. It does not have to be
anything extremely versatile, just quick and easy hack will suffice for the time being.

By looking at the archives of this list, I found that such discussion was held 2.5 years
ago, but I did not find any definite answer to the question posed. Maybe things have
changed since then?

Thanks in advance,

Igor V. Alekseev

Visiting reseacher, Telenor, Norway