Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 2020 10:23:24 -0700
From:      Pete Wright <pete@nomadlogic.org>
To:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD a server and bhyve

On 8/11/20 5:49 AM, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> Hi infoomatic,
>
> Looks like I have to top-post so as to not mess the thread:
>
> The reason I need a VM is because I need to totally independent host,
> with an independent name, with access to all ports of its own.
> It looks like I need another public IP for that.

It depends on your use case.  I have a single IPv4 address allocated to
one of my systems and have setup various CNAME entries in DNS that all
resolve to the same IP.  I think that's a pretty common design pattern
for people who colo their own servers and host multiple services on them.

the tricky part will be if you want to host multiple instances of the
same service though (multiple webservers for example).  in that case
you'll most likely need multiple IPv4 address assigned to your system.

-pete

--
Pete Wright
pete@nomadlogic.org