Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2011 09:58:15 +0200
From:      "Luchesar V. ILIEV" <luchesar.iliev@gmail.com>
To:        Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
Cc:        zeus@ibs.dn.ua, freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "secondary GPT table is corrupt or invalid" issue again

On 01/11/2011 16:03, Pete French wrote:
>>  8. rsync -avH /src/ /dst/
>>     but i have to admit thet rsync was much slower than tar ... it was
>>     about 8-9 hours for 750G of data to copy
>
> Use /usr/ports/sysutils/cpdup instead - faster, and designed to make
> exact copiues which rsync doesn't to the bets of my knoedge. It's
> what I always use form copying running installations around, and works
> flawlessly. If you have both drives mounted then it's definitely
> the way to go.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the hint on cpdup. It does seem like an interesting
alternative, though it usually gives me the shivers when I hear anything
even remotely resembling cpio. ;)

I don't know what you mean by rsync not making exact copies. With
patches, rsync could even preserve atimes and file flags. If you mean
"copying from running systems", as I see cpdump claims to be able to
copy devices as well (I suppose this should really mean device nodes),
I'm not quite sure if that's really a good practice anyway (and I really
can't think of many reasons to copy or backup device nodes).

BTW, rsync is also capable of delta-encoding, which could in theory
provide significant savings in terms of transferred data, though I
suppose its practical effectiveness depends heavily on the exact type of
data that is being copied or backed up. More info on the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync

Cheers,
Luchesar