Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 07:11:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        Doug@gorean.org, rivers@dignus.com
Cc:        ady@warpnet.ro, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, M.S.Powell@salford.ac.uk, scrappy@hub.org
Subject:   Re: -stable (in)stability (was Re: Best version of FBSD for INN ?)

> 	Please don't crosspost. Thanks.

 Now - here's an interesting phenom.  (If I can take a tangent
for awhile.)

 I didn't intentionally cross-post - I merely hit `r' to R)eply
in Mail, and didn't pay attention to the headers.

 Now - on this e-mail I did pay attention to the To: lines.  But I
notice that the topic is now going to a list I don't read.

 So - should I redirect to a list I do read (which is where I
originally saw the posting) - or - should I simply hope my name
is now included directly in the To: line?     Or, should I,
some weeks from now simply ask on the lists to which I subscribe,
"whatever happened regarding XXX"?  Or, to stay informed, should
I now intentionally cross-post (which is agreed, not a "good thing.")

 That is, the absence of a cross-post (which I agree, shouldn't
be there) will potentially leave me out-of-the-loop.   I get many
hundreds of e-mails (sometimes thousands) a day from the lists
I'm already on - I'm not sure subscribing to a new one, which
may be the "right" answer, is at all practical.

 Just some observations....

> Thomas David Rivers wrote:
> >
> > And - to add to this - I still can freeze up my pentium
> > laptop rather quickly (3.2-RELEASE
>
> 	This would be a lot more useful if you were actually using -Stable. As
> it is there is no way to know if any of the hundreds of changes between
> your -Release and the present have improved (or for that matter
> worsened) your situation.

 Yes - you are right - as soon as the 3.3-RELEASE CDs get here, I
will try it out.

 Also, I believe one of the original posters indicated he saw the
problem in 3.x - so, _if_ this is the same problem, a data point that
shows the issue came to light in an older release can help debugging
efforts.  And, if this is not the same problem - then my e-mail becomes
random aggravating noise... that deters from a solution to either
problem...   But, I add it in the hopes that it contributes.

 And - for now - please try and CC: me on the discussions.

	- Dave Rivers -

--
rivers@dignus.com                         Work: (919) 676-0847
Get your mainframe (370) `C' compiler at http://www.dignus.com