Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 19:33:00 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I check out a snapshot?

An individual tag operation isn't expensive so much as is tagging
*every single file* in the src/ hierarchy, essentially what we have to
do at each major release.  Adding "merge me" tags on a case by case
basis would probably be a little different since you'd expect that to
happen over a long period of time (the life of the branch you're
merging into, basically) and to small collections of files in each
instance.  That'd make it much less of an impact on all those users
out there who are cvsup'ing daily, and not quite what I was talking
about below.  I believe someone was asking why each SNAP couldn't be
reproduced exactly by checking out a tree with the "snap tag", and to
do that I'd essentially need to tag all the sources (and, if one
wanted to be _really_ anal, the ports) once a day.  That would be far
too expensive and the lockdown time on the repository to create the
tags would not be appreciated either.

					Jordan