Date:      Sat, 05 Apr 1997 18:54:21 +0200
From:      Tor Egge <Tor.Egge@idi.ntnu.no>
To:        dfr@nlsystems.com
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, dg@root.com, ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/3184: vnodes are used after they are freed. (dup alloc?)

> I know about this problem.  Unfortunately the only way of fixing it is
> probably to keep private pools of vnodes for each filesystem (which Terry
> has been badgering me about for *years*).  It might happen but it is a
> fair amount of work.  For the moment, I will settle with a system which is
> stable, even it does hang when a server fails.

Two other ways:

  - Let getnewvnode call VOP_ISLOCKED and skip locked nodes on the
    so-called free list.

  - Delay putting vnodes onto the so-called free list until
    VOP_INACTIVE has been called, and use a flag to indicate that a
    vnode is not on the so-called free list even when v_usecount is
    0. Add needed checks where the code currently assumes that
    v_usecount==0 means that the vnode is on the so-called free list.

- Tor Egge