Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 16:37:01 +0900
From:      Gabriel Sirbu <gabi@pop.eng.hokudai.ac.jp>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installation

Dear Sirs,

I bought "The Complete FreeBSD" which includes 2 CD (FreeBsd 2.1.5 -
Installation and Live File System).
Now I am running Win95 on an IBM Aptiva PC. This IBM was bought in Japan and
it was provided with a Japanese version of Win95. I changed this to an
English version of Win95. The problem is that what I had was just an upgrade
so I needed to start with by reformatting the hard disk with a Japanese
version of DOS and to use the first installation disk of Windows 3.1 to
trick the upgrade. The English version of Win95 is working now but has some
small problems. I wold like to keep this version on my hard disk and to run
in the same time the FreeBSD.
The IBM Aptiva was provided with an HD with the following characteristics:

IBM CE
MODEL: DJAA-31700
CAPACITY: 1700 MB
3308 CYL 16 HEADS
63 SEC/T
P/N 29H7182
FRU P/N 06H8728
MLC EI5496
RATED 5V 450mA DC

Almost all of my data is stored on this HD. Now I have 360MB free space on
it and I want to install some more software that runs under Win95 (like
Autocad 13 and SigmaPlot). For this I will need more space.

Recently I obtained a new hard disk. It is a ADTX Quantum E-IDE of 1.2GB. I
did not install it yet.
I understand from Chapter 5 (of the book mentioned above) that I can do the
Shared OS Installation but I did not understand very well how should I proceed.
Would you please be so kind and help me to install the FreeBSD on this last
HD (Quantum) and to keep some space available for the other programs that I
want to install(Autocad 13 and SigmaPlot) and run from Win95? If you think
that there is an other possibility (like running these programs under
FreeBSD, for example) please let me know.

Please accept my thanks in advance.
Looking forward for your answer.
Sincerely yours,
Gabriel Sirbu