Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 2000 21:00:43 +0300
From:      Alex Kapranoff <alex@kapran.bitmcnit.bryansk.su>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: license (no longer Re: uptimes, Woo Hoo)

On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 08:10:07AM -0500, Michael Lucas wrote:

> > off and do proprietary things with it?  Fine, you can do that.  You want to
> > keep it out in the Open Source domain?  You're welcome to do that as well."
>
> That's a nice statement of what it is, but not a statement of "why."
> Allow me to explain why I ask:
>
> I'm pretty much surrounded by Linux bigots.  Their big pro-Linux
> argument that they have is the GPL, and how it's great for the
> community.
>
> So, is there any highfalutin' purpose behind the BSDL?  Or is it as
> nonpolitical as it appears to be?  Having had this argument many

  How would you like this: GPL fights for the software to be free. Kinda
'Freedom for Software'. BSD license fights (or just ensures) freedom for
people using software. Not the Best Text Editor should be free but you - its
user (just for e.g.) That's from someone's article on /. about a month ago.

--
Alex Kapranoff,
2:50/383.20@fidonet,