Date:      Sun, 18 Jan 1998 14:56:02 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Frank Mayhar <frank@exit.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CLOCAL in user-mode PPP????

> (I'm trusting that the list isn't dead.  I'm afraid it is.)
>
> I'm looking at the user-mode PPP source.  I have a problem where dialup
> PPP sessions aren't being hung up when the user quits, under FreeBSD
> 2.2.5-STABLE (the very latest bits).  It turns out that user-mode PPP is
> setting CLOCAL on the device.
>
> This seems stupid.
>
> Why does it set CLOCAL?  Why doesn't it want to let you hang up on it?  I'm
> in the process of hacking my local copy to _not_ set CLOCAL, which is what
> I apparently did for FreeBSD 2.1 as well, but it would be nice to see this
> change get into the mainline source, so I don't have to keep fixing it for
> my application.
>
> Thanks for any replies.  Extra thanks for the useful ones!

If you get the latest ppp from -current or from

  http://www.FreeBSD.org/~brian

this will work.  Ppp sets CLOCAL, then polls the tty line.  This is
kinda done for hysterical reasons, but I was never keen to change it
because of my plans for multilink ppp.  However, having said that,
my ideas are now moving towards a multi-process model - one per
physical line.  This means that leaving CLOCAL off and waiting for a
HUP would be the decent thing to do :-)

I'll get to do some on this soon !

      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;