Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 2006 21:48:24 +0000
From:      "Ben Kaduk" <minimarmot@gmail.com>
To:        "Adrian Murphy" <amurphy@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Interrupt storm on IRQ11

On 4/6/06, Adrian Murphy <amurphy@gsoft.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I too have a similar problem. I have a Dell Inspiron 8000 and the
> wireless card (Alloy WLT245401) which has a TI chipset. I have used the
> ndis scheme successfully for the last few months with current dated
> November 3 2005.
>
> I updated current on March 30th. Now I get the interrupt storm on irq
> 10.  Unlike Patrick, I always get an interrupt storm, whether the card
> is inserted at boot time or if it is inserted later.
>
> See my dmesg below. The devices Patrick has on irq 11 (vgapci0, uhci0,
> xl0) are attached to irq 10 in this laptop. cardbus is also on irq10.
>
> I note the commit messages for the file src/sys/dev/cardbus/cardbus.c
> indicate there may be issues in the current version. But that is dated
> March 1st.
>
> I have tried increasing sysctl hw.intr_storm_threshold up to 200000 from
> 500 but it doesn't seem to help, so far.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adrian
>

> Patrick Bowen wrote:
> > List;
> >
> > I get the following on boot in -current;
> >
> >       Interrupt storm detected on "irq11:"; throttling interrupt source
> >
> > If I have my atheros card in the laptop (Dell C600) during boot I can
> > then do "kldload if_ath" and I'm good to go. If I plug the card in
> > anytime *after* I get to the login prompt it's non-functional.
> >
> > When the card is in the slot at boot, and after I "kldload if_ath" I se=
e;

> >        ath_hal: 0.9.16.16 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, RF5111, RF5112,
> > RF2413, RF5413)
> >        ath0: <Atheros 5212> mem 0x88000000-0x8800ffff at device 0.0 on
> > cardbus1
> >        ath0: Ethernet address: 00:13:46:b6:19:ea
> >        ath0: mac 7.8 phy 4.5 radio 5.6
> >
> > If I plug the card in later all I see is;
> >
> >        ath_hal: 0.9.16.16 (AR5210, AR5211, AR5212, RF5111, RF5112,
> > RF2413, RF5413)
> >
> > I'm wondering if this is related to RM's recent commits.
> >
> > (full dmesg attached).
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Patrick

[other people's dmesg's snipped]

Hi, all,

I, too am now seeing an interrupt storm on irq 11 after upgrading to
april 5 (from ~jan 29).  The devices that are on irq 11 for me are
vgapci, uhci, ehci, bfe, fwohci, and a non-functional pcmcia modem
which attaches to sio.

A full dmesg may be found here (sorry it's not verbose, I can get one
if I need to), as well as pciconf -lv:
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/kaduk/www/prolepsis/

My bfe network card seems to be working just fine, though I haven't
been stressing it too much.

-Ben Kaduk