Date:      3 Mar 1999 03:59:05 -0000
From:      Yusuf Goolamabbas <yusufg@huge.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE panics, can't find root for mount

System. HP Netserver 333 with two SCSI disks (4G and 9G)
Root partion on the 4 GIG disk. Around 60 MB

Hi, I installed FreeBSD 3.0 and then did a cvsup to 3.1-RELEASE and
did a make upgrade. The system did not reboot automatically at the
end, but I was able to reboot successfully to a 3.1-RELEASE.

Then I decided to compile a custom kernel and for the line
config kernel on root wd0

I modified it to

config kernel on root da0

After recompiling and reinstalling the kernel, when I reboot the
kernel. I get a kernel panic stating that can't mount root.
I tried changing da0 to da0s1a and then to sd0 and then to wd0. Yet, I
get the same error. I can boot kernel.GENERIC

Is there anything I might have missed, Thanks Yusuf

--
Yusuf Goolamabbas
yusufg@huge.net