Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:12:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Sam Khader <SKhader@CRYSTALPC.COM>
Cc:        "'freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Adaptec Ultra 160 SCSI Card w/Free BSD

Sam Khader writes:
 > I am just curious if anyone has tried the Adaptec SCSI 29160 controller card
 > with Free BSD with success???  Thanks in advance.
 >

 > Sam Khader
 > Systems Engineer
 > sam.khader@crystalpc.com <mailto:sam.khader@crystalpc.com>

The Adaptec driver should have no machine dependancies, so it should
just work.  The adaptec driver supports U160 now, I think..

I tend to prefer the sym based cards, though.  They tend to be a much
better value for the money and the sym driver supports Ultra160 in
4.0-RELEASE (which we're using for production machines right now).  We
bought a bunch of Tekram DC-390U3D (dual-channel U160) controllers
last year & we're very happy with them.

Be warned that you probably won't be able to use an adaptec card, or a
newer sym based card as a boot device on an alpha, though.  This is a
limitation of the SRM console and does not have a whole lot to do
w/FreeBSD.

Cheers,

Drew