Date:      Wed, 31 Aug 2022 11:11:24 +0200
From:      Martin Stiemerling <mls.ietf@gmail.com>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peterj@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "net@freebsd.org" <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Notification of change of IP address/Routing etc

Hi,=20

> Am 31.08.2022 um 11:00 schrieb Peter Jeremy <peterj@freebsd.org>:
>=20
> On 2022-Aug-31 10:18:44 +0200, Martin Stiemerling <mls.ietf@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>> I am looking for a mechanism to get a notification from the OS when, =
for instance, an IP address on an interface or a routing entry is being =
changed.=20
>=20
> Assuming you are using the base OS version of dhclient, you could use
> /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks, which is a shellscript documented in
> dhclient-script(8).

Thanks, but that won=E2=80=99t help, as I need notifications about all =
changes, even if the change is not happening thru dhcp. E.g., IPv6 =
changes or manual changes.=20

This is for a gnmi-target, i.e., net management via yang/gnmi, under =
development for Linux and FreeBSD for routers, firewalls, software =
switches etc:
https://code.fbi.h-da.de/danet/gnmi-target

I have seen that there is a project for adding netlink to FreeBSD14: =
https://github.com/pengnam/freebsd-netlink

Right now, I haven=E2=80=99t found a way, devd is for device changes =
only, to get this done.=20

I am happy to help to change this, but it is unclear to me where and how =
to start.=20

Thanks,

  Martin=20