Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 1995 16:33:00 -0500
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/conf Makefile.i386

>> I VERY VERY VERY VERY much DISlike this.

OK Garrett and Rod -- Address MY concerns while retaining the current obj links.

1) The bulk of the source will be on CDROM.
2) I am compiling on a production machine that is shared by other users.
I'll install the result on another machine via NFS.
3) I need to maintain multiple versions of the world. In particular, I have
a 2-Snap, my modifications to that "release", a -current, and the version
that I am actually trying to test. Although I do have more disk space than
most users, I cannot afford to keep duplicate trees of everything.
4) I have no idea what "Joe" is doing with the source, but he is also
"using" it. We cannot get in each other's way.

>I agree with Garrett on this one, it makes it a pain to go look at
>the obj directory when you are in one of the src directories.

At least you gave a reason. :)

>But from other postings by Richard this is one of many options on how
>obj can be handled, and one of those options is the current symlink
>to the obj dir.

True. It can also work that way, but I would not make it the default.

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net