Date:      Fri, 24 Feb 2012 08:55:51 -0500
From:      Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
To:        Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie maintainer, question regarding patches

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 7:39 AM, Michael Gmelin <freebsd@grem.de> wrote:
> b) I also have another massive patch which touches another 20 files which=
 enables some new security features in ice (the history of this patch is th=
at I developed it at first and submitted it to the vendor, who refined it a=
nd sent it back to me). I might want to make this patch optional as well (u=
sing a dialog style menu to enable it). In this case it also seems like it =
would be better not to split the patch up to all that many sources, but kee=
p it as one feature that's contained in one patch.

Just replying to this question: The ports tree is not meant for
software development. I would much rather you try to get the patch
into the upstream source than keep it as an optional patch in the
ports tree.

--=20
Eitan Adler