Date:      Mon, 24 Dec 2018 17:19:39 +0300
From:      Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology>
To:        Manish Jain <jude.obscure@yandex.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A question about graphics subsystems under FreeBSD

On Mon, Dec 24, 2018 at 2:41 AM, Manish Jain <jude.obscure@yandex.com>=20
wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> I have a port mkdesktop which simplifies the task of FreeBSD desktop=20
> configuration. I was looking to enhance the port in its capabilities=20
> and it would help me if I could know the various pkg's and kld's=20
> needed by the various chipsets.
>=20
> As per my (incomplete) knowledge, the following are usually needed:
>=20
> Chipset   | <Packages>                 | <Modules>
>=20
> AMD GPU   | drm-kmod:xf86-video-amdgpu |
> Radeon    | drm-kmod:xf86-video-ati    | radeonkms.ko**
> NVidia    | drm-kmod:nvidia-driver     | nvidia.ko:nvidia-modeset.ko
> Intel GPU | drm-kmod:xf86-video-intel  |

- mesa-dri/mesa-libs are needed for both AMD and Intel
- the kernel modules you're missing: amdgpu.ko, i915kms.ko
- *really* old (*ancient*) Radeons might need drm-legacy-kmod and=20
xf86-video-ati-legacy
- "not too old, but not new either" Radeons (Southern Islands and Sea=20
Islands =97 from HD7750 to R9 290) are supported by *both* radeonkms=20
and amdgpu kernel drivers (amdgpu is of course the newer and better one)
- xf86-video-intel is a semi-abandoned pile of bugs, try just not=20
installing it, the default "modesetting" driver with GLAMOR=20
acceleration usually works better
- xf86-video-amdgpu is not strictly necessary, it's similar to=20
"modesetting", though it sometimes seems to fix screen tearing, so i'd=20
say keep it
=