Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 2002 04:19:04 +0300 (MSK)
From:      "."@babolo.ru
To:        Lars Hecking <lhecking@users.sourceforge.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gif in gd2?

>  Hi,
>
>  Can someone please explain to me the rationale behind adding gif support
>  to graphics/gd2? gif support was officially removed from gd with version
>  1.6. Does the FreeBSD project have a license from UniSYS?
UniSYS patented algorithm?
Most of countries do not consider algorithms patentable IMHO
It is quite clear:
0cicuta~(5)>grep '*' /usr/ports/graphics/gd2/Makefile
        @${ECHO_CMD} "*      If you live outside US and Canada, you can define   *"
        @${ECHO_CMD} "*      WITH_LZW to enable GIF compression support.         *"
        @${CP} ${FILESDIR}/g* ${WRKSRC}

--