Date:      Fri, 04 May 2012 13:37:40 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: no ptX device found

Raoul "M=E9g=E9las" <rmgls@free.fr> writes:

> I dislike crossposting, but i have had no reply for this problem.
> Please have you any doc on this topic, i does not find
> anythikng in the man pages, nor in UPDATING.
> see below, the message posted on current.

I'm not running current, but I don't think that matters for this.
I'm guessing you haven't read the manual for pty(4)?

pty devices seem fairly obsolescent.

> On current, since about 3 months, no pty device is created.
> i see only a pts[0] in dev.
> screen (4.0.1, we cannot use a higher version, for good raisons)
> does not find any pty device and does not attach.
> How can i create at least one?

It should be created automatically when you try to access it.=20
If it's trying to examine the device before opening it, using stat()=20
or something similar might get the device to trigger.

> my ttys seems to have no effect. I am pretty sure i miss somemthing.
> In another hand, i see nothing in the man pages on this topic.

pty devices seem to only be present for backward compatibility, and I
don't see them actually needed on any of my systems.