Date:      Tue, 4 May 2004 19:11:26 -0500
From:      "Pratt, Benjamin E." <bepratt@stcloudstate.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Wireless (newbie questions)

Hello everyone, I'm very new to this whole wireless thing (I know, I'm =
late to the game) and I was just looking at buying my first PCMCIA =
802.11g card.  I want something that can use an external antenna so I've =
been looking at a Proxim Orinoco card =
(http://www.proxim.com/products/wifi/client/11bgpccard/index.html).  It =
appears as though this card will work with FreeBSD but I just wanted to =
verify this.

I've also got a friend who's done some wireless things before and he =
uses Linux and therefore Kismet.  I see that FreeBSD has a port for =
bsd-airtools but I'm not sure if that's all that I'd need.  I'd like to =
be able to sniff for traffic without sending any data out (he does this =
with Kismet) in order to not be detected.  He has said that netstumbler =
sends out can't do this and bsd-airtools likens itself to netstumbler so =
I was wondering if bsd-airtools has these limitations as well.

Anyone have any comments about the card I'm looking at or the =
functionality of bsd-airtools??

Thanks,

Ben=20