Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 1997 20:14:15 +0100 (MET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@ravenock.cybercity.dk>
To:        eivind@dimaga.com (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        imp@village.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipdivert & masqd

> At 08:04 AM 1/30/97 -0700, you wrote:
> >In message <199701292038.MAA19786@freefall.freebsd.org> Darren Reed writes:
> >> It is a *much* better idea to redirect IRC to a local TCP port and process
> >> it using a proxy agent.  Same could also be said for FTP.
> >
> >Yes.  It is.  However, you also have to do the same for Talk, Real
> >Audio and at least one other protocol that encodes either the IP
> >address or ports of the system.
>
> I'm thinking about doing transparent proxying for the protocols, but I want
> to see how well the packet-patching version run first.  As it is, it is
> (hopefully) right in 99% of the cases, and it scales well.  If I get
> reports of real-life problems I'll make it a priority to make proxies, but
> not before.
> (And the packet-patchers will still be an option - for most people, they
> probably are a better or as good solution.)

Hmm, I've done a NAT implementation, and my experience tells me that
doing ftp, irc, realaudio etc in the NAT itself, (I like the name
packet-patchers :) ) is the most efficient way of doing things,
and it saves the user for all that proxy fiddleing, they see the
world as if they where on the net directly...

Søren Schmidt               (sos@FreeBSD.org)               FreeBSD Core Team
                Even more code to hack -- will it ever end
..