Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2012 09:43:26 -0700
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        Thomas Abthorpe <portmgr-secretary@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [CORRECTION] Change to the header in ports Makefiles, take two

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Thomas Abthorpe
<portmgr-secretary@freebsd.org> wrote:
> It was recently posted on,
> http://blogs.freebsdish.org/portmgr/2012/09/01/change-to-the-header-in-ports-makefiles/
> that we would adopt a new header for the ports Makefiles.  The initial
> discussion seemed to show enough support for the idea of completely
> stripping the header, leaving only the $FreeBSD$ tag.  After the
> announcement was made, more people stated strong feelings that when and
> where possible attribution be maintained in the header.
>
> A private discussion was held among ports committers, and while opinions
> were as varied as the individuals who shared them, it was decided to unify
> on a two line header.
>
> # Created by: J.Q. Public <jqpublic@someaddress.com>
> # $FreeBSD$
>
> The Whom line from the classic six line header becomes Created By.
>
> Sometimes, as a result of a repocopy, or changed maintainership, the
> Created By and MAINTAINER is no longer in synchronisation. To avoid
> confusion, the first line can be removed, optionally leaving us with a one
> line header.
>
> # $FreeBSD$

Wouldn't it make sense to have the "# $FreeBSD$" line be the first
line of the file, so that it never changes?  Having some files where
the FreeBSD tag is first, and other files where it's second seems
arbitrarily inconsistent.

Lines that don't change should come first, so that things are always the same.

IMHO, of course.  :)

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com