Date:      Fri, 27 Sep 1996 11:19:08 +0800 (SST)
From:      Ng Pheng Siong <ngps@pacific.net.sg>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Ng Pheng Siong <ngps@pacific.net.sg>
Subject:   Linux co-existence, and "kdump: Cannot allocate memory"

Hi, all. 2 questions in 1 mail. ;)

1. I have Win95 and FreeBSD on my notebook, booting with FreeBSD's bootmgr.
I've recently installed Linux; it now boots off a floppy coz I've wary of
having LILO overwrite my boot sector stuff.

How can I boot Linux off the harddisk with FreeBSD's bootmgr?

2. After installing Linux, I compiled a kernel (2.0.21) with ufs and FreeBSD
disklabel support. Tried (once) to mount FreeBSD's filesystems; not successful.
I now want to build a BSD kernel (960801-SNAP) with ext2fs, instead.
Config is ok, make depend is ok, just "make" dies. I do a "ktrace make", then
when I say "kdump", I get "kdump: Cannot allocate memory".

Before I had installed Linux, I could and did compile the BSD kernel.
(That's when KTRACE got added.) I can still build Linux kernels.

I have 8 MB ram, and 32 MB swap. "swapinfo" says 65408 out of 65536 available.
My notebook is a TI Extensa 510; 3com pccard ethernet.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough space on the notebook to unpack sources
to check myself.

I'm not on -questions nor -hackers, so I'd appreciate a direct reply.
(Drowning in sheer volume of mail already. ;)

TIA. Cheers.

--
Ng Pheng Siong <ngps@pacific.net.sg> * Finger for PGP key.
Pacific Internet Pte Ltd * Singapore