Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2023 09:12:45 +0800
From:      Zhenlei Huang <zlei@FreeBSD.org>
To:        bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How much survives an install/reboot cycle?

> On Nov 19, 2023, at 11:51 PM, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net> wrote:
>=20
> How much of a running system's state survives a reboot? I used to =
think
> the answer was "nothing", but from time to time a second reboot =
behaves
> a  little differently from the previous one.=20

Warner has a good description about that. I totally agree.

>=20
> The most recent example was an update to bpf.c: Prior to the update an
> armv7 system had been inclined to drop ssh connections left up for =
days.
> After updating and running a build/install cycle the behavior =
persisted,
> but since a second reboot with no intentional changes it has stopped.

The most recent change to bpf.c is 7a974a649848 (bpf: Make dead_bpf_if =
const) .
It is not a functional change, and I do not think it will affect ssh.
There could be issues under the earth.

Anyway please do not hesitate to report if you get recovered by =
reverting 7a974a649848.

>=20
> I've not tampered with nextboot, so I don't think that's it. Maybe I'm
> just imagining imagining things....=20
>=20
> Thanks for reading,
>=20