Date:      Tue, 16 Nov 1999 20:35:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kim Culhan <fbsd@kim.net>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   icecast on 3.3-STABLE runs great

Greetings-

icecast, the 'Shoutcast compatible' streaming mpeg III server runs fine
on 3.3-STABLE, this from the bits in the latest icecast in ports/audio.

Since live 'net broadcasting' was the goal, I tried to get livecast
running.
This is included in the icecast package and requires a software
mp3 encoder running on the machine at the same time to deliver the
stream.

The encoder 'lame' appears to be the only good alternative which appears
to run and connect to the server but it will not stream to it.

Since the icecast server can accept connections from an encoder on a
seperate machine, I tried one running on Windows NT.

This setup is uhh.. interesting.

It uses the Windows mp3 player application Winamp along with 'plug-ins'
to add the encoding/streaming functionality.

So.. days later..
using this stream to icecast for testing it was a great moment
when the whole thing rocked :)

Seems pretty stable, monitoring the 'air sound' on the FreeBSD machine's
soundcard running mpg123 connected to:  http://locahost:8000

BTW, regarding sound cards on 3.3-STABLE, the best readily available
sound card is IMHO the Creative 'Ensoniq AudioPCI'. A really late revision
card bearing this name can be had a local Best Buy (we don't have Fry's
in Detroit..) for $40. You can compare the performance of this card at:

http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/summary/index.html

To use this card on 3.3-STABLE you need Russell Cattelan's patches
and it appears this is not a very well advertised fact.. dunno why.

Since this is a great card and stock 3.3-STABLE runs great with it, why
not think about including these patches in STABLE ?

regards
kim

--
fbsd@kim.net