Date:      Tue, 28 Jun 2011 16:03:01 -0400
From:      jhell <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How can process in STOP state consume 200% CPU?

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 11:40:29AM -0700, Yuri wrote:
> I got VirtualBox process in a strange state. It has the status STOP but
> shows by top as consuming 200% CPU for a very long time.
> How is this possible and what does this mean? Process time stays at 0:00
> TIME. kill -9 doesn't kill it.

kill -CONT

>    PID USERNAME      THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE   C   TIME    CPU
> COMMAND
>   9390 yuri            3  44    0   508M   246M STOP    3   0:00 200.00%
> VirtualBox
> <...>
>
> 8.2-STABLE

I would suppose that because you stopped the clients frontend that the
backend has not been notified and is doing its best to draw to the
screen causing a high CPU usage.

Though you have used -STOP on the process youll still have to -CONT
after the -KILL for it to actually exit since the process is effectively
stopped its not going to abide by any further signals until it recieves
-CONT.

Anyway now you know not to use -STOP on that process ;) Is it supposed
to do anything with the stop signal ? has it been documented in VB ?