Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 2015 23:29:53 -0700
From:      Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>
To:        Hellmuth Michaelis <hm@hellmuth-michaelis.de>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: beaglebone boot from eMMC

<hm@hellmuth-michaelis.de> wrote:
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
> i=E2=80=99m running a recent current on a beaglebone black and i=E2=80=99=
m using crochet to build stuff. I=E2=80=99ve seen the copy to eMMC =
script in root and tried that. After running it, i checked the MSDOS and =
UFS partitions and it seems they are OK. But, after removing the SD card =
and trying to boot from the internal eMMC i just see =E2=80=9EC=E2=80=9C=E2=
=80=99s coming out slowly of the serial console, nothing else is =
happening. Putting in the SD card and all runs well again.

I tried this today with one of my BBBs, and I see the same thing.  =
Clearly, the ROM does not like either the MBR partitioning or the MSDOS =
format being used by FreeBSD.

The copy-to-emmc.sh script did work at one time, so I suspect something =
has changed in FreeBSD since then.

> GEOM_PART: integrity check failed (mmcsd1, MBR)
> GEOM_PART: integrity check failed (diskid/DISK-5F817AAF, MBR)

If I format the eMMC then boot from SD, I see the same messages here, so =
I don=E2=80=99t think you have a defective eMMC.

I suspect a fatal mismatch in the CHS geometry assumptions somewhere.

Tim