Date:      Tue, 02 Nov 1999 23:19:23 -0800
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        Edirol <edirol@anime.ca>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw fwd action problems

"Crist J. Clark" wrote:

> Edirol wrote,
> > I'm trying to setup a relay box that will basically forward all requests to
> > port X on the relay box to port X on another machine on the net.  So say:
> >
> > I telnet to 207.34.202.38:21 (relay box) everything would be passed on to
> > another machine, say 24.1.64.72:21. Of course when the 24.1.64.72:21 box
> > returns the packet to 207.34.202.68:21 that should also magically bounce
> > back to the ip who originally connected to 207.34.202.38:21.

<big snip>

> In summary, using 'ipfw fwd' is really not what you want to be
> doing. You probably want to be using natd(8). It does what you want.
> --

	You may also want to try some of the programs out there that basically
do only port forwarding.  I personally haven't tried these, but I know
of at least two in the ports collection ( I know there are more, but
can't remember their names at the moment ) :

rinetd
bounce

	I know there are several other programs out there that specialize in
this also.  If you aren't already ready running natd then going this
route may be easier, on the other hand if you already have natd in this
loop then you may as well use it to redirect the port.

--

Joseph Scott
joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu