Date:      Mon, 4 Mar 2013 12:09:34 +0100
From:      Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de>
To:        Robert Simmons <rsimmons0@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using pf and Tor DNS port

--Sig_/0v6F_kl7GYF5pvkACDqjHGk

Robert Simmons <rsimmons0@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am having problems setting up Tor's DNSPort using pf.  In FreeBSD
> 8.x I was able to just run Tor with the "DNSPort 53" config file
> option with no problems.  Now, with 9.1, when I run it with that
> option, I get a permission denied error when trying to bind port 53 on
> localhost.  I assume this is from tighter reserved port restrictions:
> now you must be root.

I'm reasonably sure that this was the default for 8.x as well.
Are you sure you are using the same configuration?

>                        Running Tor as root is not recommended, so I'm
> trying to forward all traffic from localhost port 53 to port 9053
> where I have Tor configured to listen now.
>=20
> I created a second loopback like so:
> ifconfig lo1 create up 127.0.0.2
>=20
> I added the following two rules:
> rdr pass on lo1 inet proto udp to port domain -> 127.0.0.1 port 9053
> pass out quick route-to lo1 inet proto udp to port domain keep state
>=20
> The above is not working.  Any suggestions?

Without knowing how it's not working and how the rest of the
rules look like, it's hard to come up with specific suggestions.

I don't need the port restrictions on my Tor-running systems
and thus just set: net.inet.ip.portrange.reservedhigh=3D52
and let Tor bind to 53 directly.

Fabian