Date:      Fri, 9 Apr 1999 20:47:04 -0400
From:      "Joe Gleason" <clash@tasam.com>
To:        "Clay Smith" <blitz@pdq.net>, "FreeBSD Stable" <FreeBSD-Stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: network card installation

Most cheap cards seem to be using the realtek chipset, which is
supported with the rl0 driver.
I have seen some problems with realtek cards detecting which network
type and duplex and they are generaly not as efficent, I have heard.
I think that getting a 3c905 or Intel Pro 10/100 is a good idea for a
critical server, but if you just want something that will work
cheaply, just about anything will work.

PCI cards do need drives, but they are just much easier to work with
as far as detection.

Joe Gleason
Tasam