Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 18:41:56 -0500
From:      Jim Shepherd <jimshep@mindspring.com>
To:        aic7xxx@freebsd.org
Subject:   aic7xxx timeout errors on boot

I am receiving timeout errors on boot preventing the OS to load when
using an old CDROM drive and a Quantum Atlas IV drive:

SCSI: aborting command due to timeout: pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id 4,
lun 0, Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
SCSI host 0 abort (pid 0) timed out - resetting
SCSI bus is being reset for host 0 channel 0
(last 2 lines repeat indefinitely)

With the same hardware configuration, I did not receive these errors
with the Linux 2.2.3 kernel, but they I first came across them with the
2.2.10 kernel.  Also using the Adaptec SCSI software under DOS does not
result in any obvious errors (no errors are displayed during loading).
I have looked through the archives and looked at termination issues as
well as trying the "no_reset", "panic_on_abort", and "override_term"
parameters at bootup.  Following is my configuration.  If I provide
anything else that would be usefull, please let me know.  Thanks in
advance.

System Configuration:
Redhat Linux 6.1 with 2.3.49 kernel (aic7xxx support is compiled into
the kernel)
AIR 54TPI motherboard with on board AIC-7880P SCSI chip
  68 pin connector
     Quantum Atlas IV 9GB harddrive
     End of ribbon cable is terminated
  50 pin connector
     Chinon CDS-535 Internal CDROM Drive (SCSI-2 drive)
     End of ribbon cable is terminated
     (Have also tried using middle connector on ribbon attached to
      motherboard connector and terminating both ends)
No IDE devices

Information from /proc:
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: ATLAS IV 9 WLS   Rev: 0808
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 03

Adaptec AIC7xxx driver version: 5.2.0/3.2.4
Compile Options:
  TCQ Enabled By Default : Disabled
  AIC7XXX_PROC_STATS     : Disabled
  AIC7XXX_RESET_DELAY    : 5

Adapter Configuration:
           SCSI Adapter: Adaptec AIC-7880 Ultra SCSI host adapter
                           Ultra Wide Controller at PCI 0/8/0
    PCI MMAPed I/O Base: 0xfebfb000
 Adapter SEEPROM Config: SEEPROM found and used.
      Adaptec SCSI BIOS: Enabled
                    IRQ: 10
                   SCBs: Active 0, Max Active 1,
                         Allocated 31, HW 16, Page 255
             Interrupts: 3679
      BIOS Control Word: 0x18b6
   Adapter Control Word: 0x005c
   Extended Translation: Enabled
Disconnect Enable Flags: 0xffff
     Ultra Enable Flags: 0x0000
 Tag Queue Enable Flags: 0x0000
Ordered Queue Tag Flags: 0x0000
Default Tag Queue Depth: 8
    Tagged Queue By Device array for aic7xxx host instance 0:
      {255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255}
    Actual queue depth per device for aic7xxx host instance 0:
      {1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1}

Statistics:

(scsi0:0:0:0)
  Device using Wide/Sync transfers at 20.0 MByte/sec, offset 8
  Transinfo settings: current(25/8/1/0), goal(25/8/1/0), user(25/15/1/0)
  Total transfers 3612 (2650 reads and 962 writes)