Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 1997 18:30:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Wouter de Boer <wouter.de.boer@pobox.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to get networked

On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Wouter de Boer wrote:

> One computer with an installed FreeBSD 21.7 RELEASE version. This
> computer is running as stand-alone server. Installed network card 3com
> 509 (ep0 driver).

Check.

> I conneted this computer with another computer with a clean harddisk and
> also one network card. Same as above.

OK.  How did you link them?  If you connect them directly with an Ethernet
10BaseT cable, you need to wire it in a special way, or put it through a
hub.

> The main computer has a cdrom drive with the 2.1.7 RELEASE cdrom. I have
> made a 2.1.7 boot floppy for my new computer and boot from that floppy.
> The next step is to transfer the data from the main computer to the new
> computer.

Can you access it by ftp?

ftp localhost
user: anonymous
password:  user@

should get you logged in...

> ftp://Amigo/cdrom
>
> - setup the network interface information
>
> 	I choose ep0
>
> - The next step is to fill in the Network configuration:
>
> my questions:
>
> Host: the hostname of the the main computer (Amigo.Leek) or a new
> hostname
>
> It is filled in with Amigo.Leek so I think it is the host of the main
> computer

This should be the 'name' of the local workstation.  This name must be
defined on the nameserver identified below (and thus must be running
named).

> Domaim: idem

> Filled in with Leek

I would leave this blank.

> Gateway: what to fill in, must I change something in my main computer ??
>
> I do nothing

This should be the other side.

> Name server: idem
>
> I do nothing

Fill in with the ip address of the other machine (probably 10.0.0.1,
whatever you ifconfig'd ep0 to on that machine)

> Configuration for interface ep0
>
> IP Address:
>
> 192.168.3.1 (IP Address of my main computer)

This should be a different ip, ie 192.168.3.2

> Extra configuration:
>
> I do nothing

OK

> First I see a warning about I don't have fille in a gateway, but I don't
> know what to do with gateway.
>
> After that I see a message:
>
> Couldn't open FTP connection to Amigo. And the installation fails.

It doesn't know who 'amigo' is.

> So can anybody tell me how to install FreeBSD from my new computer using
> a connection to my main computer ??

You need to set up named and tell it the names of amigo and the new
workstation.  Help is in the Handbook at http://www.freebsd.org.