Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 2006 17:09:15 -0000
From:      "chris scott" <chris.scott@uk.tiscali.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Freebsd 6-Stable lockups

Hi all,

I have a kind of anoying problem at the moment. A system I run keeps =
radomly freezing/locking up. This can be anywhere from 2 hours to a week =
after the last reboot/lockup. The only fix its to power cycleit. It isnt =
kernel panicing, it just locks. Even accessing  via serial doent work. I =
have  changed all the hardware so the issue is unlikely to be there. The =
load on the box isnt all that high and the memory usage looks fine (all =
rrded). The box is running quite a lot of services (apache, mysql,exim. =
spamassasing, clamav, courier, openvpn, zebra). Usually all these =
services, apart from openvpn and zebra,  run in a jail. I dont think =
this is an issue as the machine still freezes if i run them non jailed. =
Deactivating all these services apart from openvpn and zebra (needed for =
monitoring), seems to fix the problem from what I can see so im fairly =
sure the problem lies in these somewhere. However can anoyone suggest I =
way i can easily pinpoint the problem other that stepping though each =
app, as this would take an age to perform and be very tedious.

The system has been  rebuilt from src (make world) several times, and I =
have dont a portupgrade  -a. All the local installations were  done from =
ports.

I have tried running a debug kernel, but it didnt seem to yeild much =
useful info.

Im running 6-stable( last build 4 days ago )
its an SMP kernel on 1 gig intels
with 1.2gig ram
2 x 80 gig ide hd