Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 1996 10:25:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Gong Wei <eng30219@leonis.nus.sg>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to use TCL to automate sd session?

I've redirected this into multimedia@freebsd.org, which is the more
appropriate forum for this.

On Mon, 11 Mar 1996, Gong Wei wrote:

> The problem is releated to sd(session directory? for MBone).  We want to
> implement an easy way for users to create a new session.  They can
> fill-in a form on WEB, tell us the desired time and media(video/audio),
> then the underlying script will call sd up, at the appropriate time, and
> more importantly, with the appropriate parameters, like the
> starting/ending time, title, description, etc.

OK, let me get this straight:  you want to put a form up that allows
ANYONE to start an MBDONE-advertised session, WITHOUT running sd?  This
is realy odd, because the person running the session needs to be on the
channel, otherwise it's perfectly pointless.

> So we are wondering is it possible to write this script in
> tcl/tk/expect?  We really appreciate any info/help, as well as any book
> tips.

The thing is, there's no reason to.  Whoever is starting the session
needs to be MBONE-capable, and then they can just run sd themselves.

> Just one more thing, personally I still think FreeBSD is slower than
> linux, on some aspects.  But overall I consider FreeBSD better, much
> better if the machine is not standalone.  Oh, please ignore this if you
> don't like 8-)

That is flamebait, pure and simple.

ttyl...