Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:54:41 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Heiko Schaefer <hschaefer@fto.de>
To:        <ports@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
Subject:   Re: ports/28272: Update port: net/libsocket++ (fwd)

Hi everyone,

i would like to bring up a question that i've been discussing with David
W. Chapman Jr after i've submitted a new port for libsocket++ (see
ports/28272 on http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=28272):

there exists a port net/libsocket++, which is for libsocket++-1.10. i've
made a port for libsocket++-1.11 (both versions of libsocket++ are ancient
history, development of libsocket++ seems to stand still for the past 5
years or so already, so most likely there will be no more changes to the
lib itself anytime soon). the main difference between both versions is
that 1.11 has introduced exception handling.  now the trouble is, that
1.11's interface is slightly different from 1.10's interface - software
that has been written to compile and link against 1.10 will most likely be
broken against 1.11.

so the question is: do we want to keep net/libsocket++ unchanged and add a
new port for the 1.11 (a possible name for the port would be
net/libsocket++-exceptions or libsocket++-exceptionhandling ... anything
like that, suggestions welcome), or can we safely replace the old version
of the port with one for the new libsocket++ (i.e. will anyone miss the
old version !?) ?

hope to hear your opinions on that

Heiko