Date:      Sat, 6 Dec 1997 18:04:13 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Mark Turrin <mlt@linkzone.com>
To:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Getting anonymous ftp to work

Hello,

I'm having trouble getting the anonymous ftp function to work.  Regular
ftp for individual users works fine but anonymous does not.

I'm running 2.2.2

Here's the session:

$ ftp argon
Connected to argon.linkzone.com.
220- Hi and welcome to the ftp archive of chaos
220 argon.linkzone.com FTP server (Version 6.00) ready.
Name (argon:mlt): anonymous
331 Guest login ok, send your email address as password.
Password:
550 Can't set guest privileges.
Login failed.
ftp>

I tried setting this up using the sysinstall program in /stand but still
no luck.  It outputs the files and the anonymous chroot directory but "she
no worky".

Getting the following errors in the /var/log/message file when attempting
anonymous ftp access:

Dec  6 17:56:21 argon inetd[26676]: login_getclass: unknown class 'root'
Dec  6 17:56:57 argon inetd[26681]: login_getclass: unknown class 'root'
Dec  6 17:57:15 argon ftpd[26681]: login_getclass: unknown class 'root'

Any help appreciated.

Mark L. Turrin           Drag me, drop me, treat me like an object!
mlt@linkzone.com