Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 18:48:37 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Ben Rosengart <ben@skunk.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   amanda zombie

I have some systems which run amandad out of inetd:

amanda  dgram   udp     wait    backup \
/usr/local/amanda/libexec/amandad      amandad

Fairly often, amanda turns into a zombie:

$ ps auxww | grep amanda
amanda 935  0.0  0.0     0    0  ??  Z    -         0:00.00 (amandad)
$

Why would inetd fail to reap the dead amanda process?  I tried sending
it a SIGCHLD manually, but that didn't help.  I have found no solution
other than rebooting the machine once this happens.

I'm considering changing the "wait" to "nowait", but first I have to
figure out if this would have unintended consequences ... any thoughts?

--
 Ben

UNIX Systems Engineer, Skunk Group
StarMedia Network, Inc.