Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 19:22:18 -0500
From:      Jim Shepherd <jimshep@mindspring.com>
To:        aic7xxx@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: aic7xxx timeout errors on boot

Ariel wrote:
<snip>
> Doug Ledford <dledford@redhat.com> knows about it but he said he needs
> more info to try to solve it.

I am more than willing to help provide as much info as needed and/or try
out new patches.

> I noticed the various boot options to the driver, panic on abort for
> instance, but they all give a very large number of HEX values - with no
> way of sending the data other then perhaps a digital camera - or error
> prone write it down on paper and copy it.
>
> Is there any way to redirect these numbers to a file?

I believe that you can setup the kernel so that the console messages are
redirected to a printer (even parallel port printers).  This method
would be a little bit better than writing the info and typing it back
into an e-mail.  If beneficial, I could also fax the output to
interested parties.  I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the
console could be redirected to a floppy (This could have just been a
suggestion though or a non-mainstream patch).

> I don't think I can load the driver as module since I need SCSI to boot my
> system - am I wrong? Can I perhaps cause it to skip the ID with the chinon
> CD, and try it again after the system booted?
>
>         -Ariel

This capability would even be helpful in the meantime.  My CDROM drive
is internal, so I have to physically disconnect the SCSI cable before I
boot into Linux and reattach when I boot into DOS to access a CDROM
(Currently, the only reason I ever boot into DOS is to copy files off of
the CDROM so I can access them from Linux)

-Jim Shepherd