Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 1997 22:38:45 -0800
From:      "Shan-Min Chao" <shanmin@lvdi.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   TCP/IP, XWindows - About, XWindows Config

Hello everybody!
    Thank you for your prompt responses last time.  Unfortunately, I have
come up with another set of questions.  Please bear with me, as I am trying
my best to learn this powerful new operating system.  The following are my
questions:

1)  I would like to setup my computer so that it support TCP/IP (so that I
can ping other computers on the web).  Right now, the ping command doesn't
seem to work, so I am assuming I did not set the TCP/IP right.  Where would
I go to mess around with the settings and how would I go about it?  I am
using FreeBSD 2.2.2, if it helps.

2)  I just finished installing XWindows, and I have a very important
question - what the heck is it for?  Can somebody tell me info about its
advantages, its disadvantages, its uses, etc?  I open it up, and the windows
"login", "x-term", and "clock" show up.  What is the difference and what are
they?

3) I still have some problems configuring XWindows.  I have a S3 Virge3d
card with 2 megs of VRam, and a Dell Trinitron 17 inch monitor.  When I load
up XWindows, it is only displayed with the colors pink, white, and gray.  Is
there some way to make it "prettier", or did I just configure it improperly?

Thank you very much for volunteering your time to helping out beginner's
like me.  I really appreciate all the help.