Date:      Thu, 29 Feb 1996 21:48:59 +0100
From:      Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Jerry Kendall <jerry@border.com>, Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xforms maintenance tools (was Re: Tcl/Tk sysinstall)

> > I have been working on a diskmaint utility to 'fdisk/disklabel' a newly
> > added drive to FreeBSD. I tried with 'dialog' and found it to be seriously
> > 'limiting'. Gave up on 'dialog'. Then tried to use 'Tcl/Tk' and found that
> > to be to cumbersome.
>
> The new dialog library (in -current) gives you considerably more
> flexibility, though I agree that it's still not the best.
>
> I was talking to jtc the other day and he mentioned that the new
> curses has menus and advanced controls - I haven't looked yet, but
> THAT sounds very promising!
>
> > Now I am using the xforms library and the fdesign gui builder... It looks
> > great and works very well. Have decided to write some other utilities
> > once I have finished the 'diskmaint' utility..
>
> I just wish it were available in source form.. :-(

The original forms toolkit is available in source, it is written
for sgi's gl-library though. I have been toying with the idea of
rewriting it, or at least making it compile with Ygl (a gl clone
for X). It also has the sources to fdesign. The license states
that it is free for non-commercial use.

Maybe we could get some people together to rewrite this stuff?

Regards,
Marc.

Marc van Kempen                 BowTie Technology
Email: marc@bowtie.nl            WWW & Databases
tel. +31 40 2 43 20 65
fax. +31 40 2 44 21 86         http://www.bowtie.nl