Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 1995 11:19:14 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.atinc.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   point-to-point links require destination addr

<<On Sun, 16 Jul 1995 07:53:32 -0400 (EDT), "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.atinc.com> said:

> in 2.0.5 and later, point-to-point links, lp0 and sl0 (have not tried
> ppp0) require a destination address in the ifconfig line.

> this was not the case previously.

Yes.  This change was made to avoid a lot of special-case code which
otherwise would have had to go to great lengths to ensure that the
all-zeros address did not end up as the destination of a route, which
makes a mess of the routing table.  I decided that it was a lot easier
to simply make this particular configuration error an error rather
than attempting to work around it.

> if the destination is omitted 'ifconfig sl0 inet 111.222.333.444'
> EADDRNOTAVAIL 'Can't assign requested address' is returned.

> can this be changed to
> EDESTADDRREQ 'Destination address required'

Sure can, and just did.  If I had noticed that one when I looked in
sys_err.c for the appropriate error to return, I would have used it
:-) .

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.