Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 09:37:29 +0000
From:      Pierre-Andre van Leeuwen <pvl@pc_pvl.nanoteq.co.za>
To:        John Kenagy <jktheowl@bga.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: simple network setup help

> What is happening is this: an attempt to ftp theother machine loops back to
> the local one. The other error is that both machines report the same IP
                                                                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> number for their respective cards, and I really can't see how I did that.

This  is your problem. ftp, telnet and others that use Internet Protocol (IP) depends
entirely on the IP numbers. You weren't getting errors, your machine just ftp'd to the
first machine with a matching IP number ( wich just happens to be himself).

Change the FreeBSD machine's IP number by editing /etc/sysconfig. There are examples
in this file ( look at the 10.0.0.1 etc IP numbers, ecpecially for a machine that is not
connected to the internet). You can also change the IP number without rebooting by typing :

ifconfig ed0 10.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffff00
(I presume ed0 is your network device)

To change the  NT machine's IP number you go into the network neighborhood
properties, choose the protocols tag and then tcp/ip properties. Set the IP number
to something like 10.0.0.2 , with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.
Save and REBOOT   :-)     No changing IP numbers on the fly with NT ( <grin> )

Good luck
pierre