Date:      Fri, 9 May 1997 12:53:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Shawn Ramsey <shawn@luke.cpl.net>
To:        Steve Howe <un_x@anchorage.net>
Cc:        Jason <jlj.mitchell.max@worldnet.att.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD K5 Chip(Does it work with FreeBSD)

> > > I'm planning on getting a K5 133 motherboard for using with FreeBSD, but
> > > I will try to install it on my 486 AMD 66Mhz. I would like to know if
> > > FreeBSD is compatible with these chips, including the NEW K6.
> > >
> > > Jason Mitchell
> >
> > Im no expert, but FreeBSD should work with ANY 32-bit x86 compatible chip.
> > I know the K5 works, havent heard anybody on here say they are using the
> > K6 yet.
>
> i wonder what going to happen with Intel moving off in
> a proprietary direction (from what i hear ...)

Are you talking about the Pentium II using the special slot 0(or is it 1)
?? Pretty LAME, considering it isnt much if any better than socket 7 or 8.
But that shouldnt make any difference of what apps will run it. Im afraid
its going to be awhile before the PC moves away from its current CISC
architetcture, probably in large part of the near monopolies of MS and
Intel. (Sorry this is way off topic, maybe we should end this thread
here).