Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 2019 15:43:09 -0400
From:      Christopher Sean Hilton <chris@vindaloo.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Raspberry Pi

I'm having trouble getting FreeBSD going on my Raspbery Pi
Hardware. The Pi that I would like to use is :

   - A Raspberry Pi B+ with a manufactures stamp of "2014";

I've downloaded the image:
FreeBSD-11.2-STABLE-arm-armv6-RPI-B-20190411-r346104.img.xz from
downloads.freebsd.com [1].

I burn it to a PNY 16G MicroSD card on a FreeBSD box as follows:

   - # xzcat FreeBSD-11.2-STABLE-arm-armv6-RPI-B-20190411-r346104.img.xz \
     >     | dd of=/dev/da3 bs=2621440
     #

That takes about 5 minutes after that I end up with: a bunch of
partitions on the micro SD card including a freeBSD mountable
filesystem.

So, I put that SD card into the Raspberry Pi B+ and I get the square
rainbow screen on my HDMI monitor. I have both a USB keyboard and a
mouse attached to the PI at bootup but it never leaves the square
rainbow screen.

Q: Can any FreeBSD / Raspberry Pi users tell me what my next steps
are?

Just as an FYI, I have a second image of Debian Linux of some sort
that boots just fine on this hardware.

-- Chris

[1][https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/arm/armv6/ISO-IMAGES/11.2/FreeBSD-11.2-STABLE-arm-armv6-RPI-B-20190411-r346104.img.xz]

Chris

     __o          "All I was trying to do was get home from work."
   _`\<,_           -Rosa Parks
Christopher Sean Hilton                    [chris/at/vindaloo/dot/com]