Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 12:50:20 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Plans to change our debugging format to DWARF2

On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 06:23:49PM +1000, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> If the recent changes to gcc and binutils were merged back into
> -stable, there would seem to be seem to be a high probability that
> -stable would break.

Binutils 2.10 (or 2.10.1) *will* be in FreeBSD 4.1-R.  GCC 2.95.2 can
produce code that gas 2.9.1 cannot understand.  Also people are
clammoring for MMX/3Dnow/K6 instruction support.  We've already been
behind Linux for a year on these because Linux uses development
snapshots.  Now that there is an actual released Binutils with these
features, we should not make our userbase wait another year to get them.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)