Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 2004 12:58:41 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Garry Forsgren <forsgrgl@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Excessive SWI8: clock activity on Intel SDV (Bandeera 4X SMP)

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 11:33:29AM -0700, Garry Forsgren wrote:
> After booting a SMP kernel from FreeBSD
> 5.2-20040528-SNAP #1, on an Intel SDV (Bandeera 4X)
> the system seems to be running very slow.  With the
> system idle, vmstat reports about 20% system cpu and
> 10% interrupt cpu usage.  Also systat indicates SWI8:
> clock activity in addition to the normal idle
> activity.
>
> The same SMP kernel appears to run fine on a different
> Intel SDV (Lyon 4X).
>
> Are there any special setup steps required using the
> Intel Bandeera SDV?

In principle no, but I have no idea what kind of machine that is,
so we may not have the necessary support.

Can you send the output of the following commands (I interleaved sample
output for reference):

% sysctl debug | grep clock
debug.clock_adjust_edges: 550
debug.clock_adjust_excess: 0
debug.clock_adjust_lost: 0
debug.clock_adjust_ticks: 1113

% sysctl debug | grep to_avg
debug.to_avg_depth: 2500
debug.to_avg_gcalls: 1003
debug.to_avg_mpcalls: 1255

% vmstat -i
interrupt                   total       rate
clock                      633980         99
atapci0                        47          0
mpt0                         9154          1
mpt1                           16          0
bge0                       229712         36
uart3                         362          0
puc0                            4          0
Total                      873275        137

NOTE: The above output has been made on an UP kernel, so numbers
may differ.

Also, try building a kernel with DIAGNOSTICS. This may provide some
clues as well.

HTH,